Tuesday, April 23, 2013

no. 168 - bruce dal canton


Who is the man: Bruce Dal Canton wasn't even a Pirate by the time this card was issued. He was dealt to the Royals (along with Freddie Patek) in December of 1970.

Can ya dig it: The "Dal" in Bruce's name has always puzzled me. Why "Dal"? Why is separate from "Canton"? I'm sure there is a reason for this that is easily researched, but I refuse to do so.

Right on: Dal Canton looks very happy in virtually all of his cards. I invite you to take a look at them. It's quite charming.

You see this cat Dal Canton is a bad mother: Dal Canton was signed at an open tryout after making one last-ditch effort at a major league career. He was teaching high school students at the time. Must have been pretty bad ass to tell your students, "Sorry, can't teach you anymore. I'm going to pitch for the Pirates."

Shut your mouth: Dal Canton was dealt from the Pirates the year before they won the World Series. Not as bad, but equally as frustrating, Dal Canton was dealt from the Royals the year before they won three straight AL West titles.

No one understands him but his woman: When Bobby Cox took over as Braves manager in 1990, he replaced pitching coach Dal Canton with Leo Mazzone.


(A word about the back): "A veteran of ... Little League ball." ... Just stop it.

1 comment:

  1. I always wondered about the "Dal" part also. He was always one of those mystery men whose card I had, but about whom I knew nothing and whom I never saw play. I was happy to have another Pirate, but it meant nothing more. Years later (still well before the internet), I wondered what happened to him and George Brunet and Fred Cambria and Johnny Jeter and the other mystery Pirates. I didn't do much collecting after 72 for a while, and I never saw most of their post-71 cards. The internet and bloggers like you have helped me clear up these childhood mysteries.

    ReplyDelete