Friday, December 12, 2014

no. 358 - danny cater


Who is the man: Danny Cater had completed his first season with the Yankees in 1970, recording the best season of what was then a seven-year career. He rapped out 175 hits and hit .301.

Can ya dig it: Nice action shot. But that could be a simple ground ball to second.

Right on: Cater didn't really play a lot of outfield in 1970, but he did play at least 42 games at third base.

You see that cat Cater is a bad mother: Cater finished second in the American League batting race in 1968 with a modest .290 in the Year of the Pitcher.

Shut your mouth: Cater's last name was mispronounced and misspelled "Carter" so often that Carter became his nickname when he was with the A's and again when he was with the Red Sox.

No one understands him but his woman: Cater was often accused of being lackadaisical because he moved slowly and didn't say much. Cater's response: "Talk is cheap."


(A word about the back): This is just the eighth card in the set to show a player wearing a helmet on the back of the card.

How do I know that? I went back and checked.

Yeah, I don't know why I do stuff like that either.

1 comment:

  1. I got to see Danny Cater play third base, but I wish I didn’t. I do think he lasted there longer than Bobby Murcer, but not by much. They finally settled on a weak hitting outfielder, Jerry Kennedy, for the position. Between trading Clete Boyer and trading for Graig Nettles, 3rd base was a black hole in Yankeedom.

    ReplyDelete