Wednesday, April 15, 2015

no. 400 - hank aaron


Who is the man: Hank Aaron delivered another consistently hammerin' year in 1970, with numbers that nearly matched his 1969 figures. However, he finished 17th in MVP voting in 1970, compared with third in '69, quite possibly because the Braves were first in 1969 but fifth in 1970.

Can ya dig it: I'm not crazy about these "cap tilted up" photos. It makes it appear as if Topps was trying to hide the Braves logo because it thought Aaron might be traded. And it would be crazy to trade Hank Aaron. Right, Braves?

Right on: The facsimile signatures on Aaron's Topps cards all read "Henry" except for his 1975 Topps card, which reads "Hank".

You see that cat Aaron is a bad mother: How many times have you read or heard the following words: "As far as I'm concerned he's the home run king."? I hear that at least on a weekly basis. Gotta be pretty bad-ass to get that kind of tribute weekly.

Shut your mouth: Aaron received two MLB contract offers based on his play with the Negro League Indianapolis Clowns. One was from the Giants and one from the Braves. Aaron said he would have signed with the Giants, but the Braves offered 50 more dollars. Aaron has said that 50 dollars is all that kept him and Willie Mays from being teammates.

No one understands him but his woman: Aaron married Billye Williams, a morning TV show host after first meeting her when Williams arranged an interview with Aaron for a series of segments called "Billye at the Bat". After hyping Aaron's upcoming appearance, the Braves slugger failed to show. But Williams was not deterred and eventually got an interview with him on the air.


(A word about the back): I feel cheated. That's the same photo that's on the front.

5 comments:

  1. As a Cub fan, it kinda freaked me out when I heard that Hank Aaron was married to Billy Williams

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was buying packs in '70 and '71 a Hank Aaron card would have been a prized possession. (OK, it's still a prized possession now.) However, as I know now, the mom-and-pop store at which I bought cards purchased only the first series or two and sold them all summer. I didn't know then how Topps released cards, so I thought I just had bad luck by never getting Aaron, Mays, Frank Robinson, etc. But I had multiples of Lou Klimchock and Frank Reberger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you would have had multiples of 1970 Yaz, 1971 Munson, etc.

      Delete
  3. As far as I'm concerned he's the home run king.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that comment is equally an insult directed at Barry Bonds and the whole steroid era.

      Delete