Friday, March 8, 2013

no. 153 - gary ross


Who is the man: Gary Ross had completed his second season with the newbie Padres when this card arrived. The 1970 season wasn't quite as taxing as 1969 when he set a franchise record of 11 straight losses, which has yet to be broken. But it still wasn't too great.

Can ya dig it: They apparently cut down ALL the trees where Ross is posing.

Right on: The Padres that we've seen in this set so far have been virtually erased by time. Only Clarence Gaston made much of a mark.

You see this cat Ross is a bad mother: Ross finished fourth in the league in appearances in 1972 with 60.

Shut your mouth: When Padres pitcher Mat Latos narrowly avoided matching Ross' streak of 11 straight losses in 2011, gaining the victory against the Rockies, he brushed off the severity of the streak because it spanned an offseason. "I didn't lose 10 straight. I had four months off. I couldn't care less about that," he said.

In other words, "don't lump me in with that Ross fellow."

No one understands him but his woman: Ross disappeared from baseball cards for a three-year span in the mid-1970s. After appearing as a Padre in the 1973 Topps set, he didn't show up again until the 1977 set when he was with the Angels. I had never heard of Ross when I pulled his card in '77 and I couldn't believe that he had pitched for so many years when I looked at the back of his card. I thought he was a rookie.


(A word about the back): The entire write-up is painful. High school feats. Legion feats. And then "2 wins & one save." ... At least his glasses are cool.

3 comments:

  1. From reading the back, one gets the feeling that these write-ups are done by lawyers/political speechwriters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was missing from the 1972 set also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only knew about him myself, when I got his 77 card, because THIS card was won of the first cards I ever collected...

    ReplyDelete