Thursday, March 10, 2016

no. 510 - ken harrelson


Who is the man: Ken Harrelson was entering his final season when this card was issued. He played in just 17 games in 1970 after breaking his leg sliding into second base during a spring training game.

Can ya dig it: This is the Hawk's final card.

Right on: This card was practically shedding as I was scanning it. I think it's time for an upgrade.

You see that cat Harrelson is a bad mother: At the height of Harrelson's popularity while playing for the Red Sox, a local band called the Val Perry Trio created a song called "Don't Walk The Hawk."

Shut your mouth: I am one of the many who can't take Harrelson's broadcasting. His outspokenness doesn't bother me, but he is the biggest broadcasting homer that I have ever heard (and I listened to Phil Rizzuto for many years), and that not only turns me off, but I find it painful to listen to -- I feel embarrassed for the whole scene and I have to change the channel.

No one understands him but his woman: Harrelson had to be convinced by commissioner Bowie Kuhn to report to Cleveland after he was dealt to the Indians by the Red Sox. A shocked Harrelson retired rather than go to the Indians, creating mass confusion among the two teams and the five other players involved in the deal.


(A word about the back): Harrelson gets a card number ending in a zero despite his lost 1970 season. Topps apparently was still rewarding Harrelson for his 1968 and 1969 seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment