Wednesday, August 31, 2016

no. 570 - jim palmer


Who is the man: Jim Palmer staked his claim as a certified star in 1970 by winning 20 games for the first time in his career (what would be the first of eight 20-win seasons in nine years).

Can ya dig it: Obviously this card has been around the town a little bit, but I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

Right on: It looks like a casual day of spring training there.

You see that cat Palmer is a bad mother: Palmer led the decade of the 1970s in victories and is the Orioles' all-time victories leader. For those of you who don't care about victories, Palmer also never allowed a grand slam in his 19-year career.

Shut your mouth: Orioles manager Earl Weaver in one of his back-and-forth insult sessions with Palmer once said, "Someone once asked me if I have any physical incapacities of my own. 'Sure I do,' I said. 'One big one -- Jim Palmer.'""

No one understands him but his woman: Palmer has been married three times. Two of those women are named Susan.


(A word about the back): I get giddy anytime I see anyone with 300-plus innings pitched in a season.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting about the 300 inning thing. In doing research on Steve Carlton, he was the last one to do it in 1980. I don't think anyone will ever do this again. Some have come close since 1980, but the inning pitched numbers have really dropped beginning in 2000.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Palmer,Cuellar,McNally and Dobson......Wow!

    ReplyDelete