Wednesday, August 31, 2016

no. 570 - jim palmer


Who is the man: Jim Palmer staked his claim as a certified star in 1970 by winning 20 games for the first time in his career (what would be the first of eight 20-win seasons in nine years).

Can ya dig it: Obviously this card has been around the town a little bit, but I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

Right on: It looks like a casual day of spring training there.

You see that cat Palmer is a bad mother: Palmer led the decade of the 1970s in victories and is the Orioles' all-time victories leader. For those of you who don't care about victories, Palmer also never allowed a grand slam in his 19-year career.

Shut your mouth: Orioles manager Earl Weaver in one of his back-and-forth insult sessions with Palmer once said, "Someone once asked me if I have any physical incapacities of my own. 'Sure I do,' I said. 'One big one -- Jim Palmer.'""

No one understands him but his woman: Palmer has been married three times. Two of those women are named Susan.


(A word about the back): I get giddy anytime I see anyone with 300-plus innings pitched in a season.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting about the 300 inning thing. In doing research on Steve Carlton, he was the last one to do it in 1980. I don't think anyone will ever do this again. Some have come close since 1980, but the inning pitched numbers have really dropped beginning in 2000.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Palmer,Cuellar,McNally and Dobson......Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't Palmer give up a grand slam in a game that was then washed out?

    ReplyDelete