Thursday, April 11, 2013

no. 164 - reds rookie stars


Who is the man: Frank Duffy and Milt Wilcox each received their first taste of major league competition in 1970 with Duffy appearing in six games and Wilcox in five for the National League pennant-winning Reds.

Can ya dig it: Wow, this card has seen better days! But not in my collection. I received it in a trade long ago in the shape that you see it.

Right on: They liked wearing their hats high then, didn't they?

You see these rookies are bad mothers: Hardly, they're rookies. If you need more evidence, Duffy wore glasses for much of his career and Wilcox's full first name is "Milton." Not. Bad. Ass.

Shut your mouth: This is the third time that I've written about Wilcox for one of these set blogs. I think I've said all I can say about him.

No one understands him but his woman: Duffy helped lead the way to one of the most lopsided trades in history. After three quality years in the minors with the Reds, he quit and went home after a dispute with management. That led the Reds to trade Duffy to the Giants in May of 1971 -- for George Foster.


(A word about the back): Wilcox did indeed "hurl in 1970 World Series." He pitched in two games, taking the loss in Game 2 when he allowed two singles and a double after coming on in relief in the fifth inning, which proved to be a five-run inning for the Orioles.

4 comments:

  1. I think they both ended up on Indians cards in '72.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way Topps sugarcoats,"Duffy didnt make one error (on a grounder) in 1968",well I guess he dropped 13 pop-ups,because he made 13 errors in 1968.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After looking at the card back, I googled "1967 Sandlotter of the Year National Baseball Congress".

    ReplyDelete