Tuesday, August 27, 2013

no. 206 - 3rd series checklist


Who is the man: The generic guy (who I've referenced on each of the previous two checklists) reminds me of the weirdly airbrushed batter on the 1976 Topps Tom Seaver record-breaker card.

Can ya dig it: Topps is getting the collector all geared up for the third series even though we're a good 58 cards away from getting there.

Right on: Collectors still pulling second-series doubles of Gerry Moses had some pretty cool players to look forward to -- Fergie Jenkins, Tony Oliva, Bobby Bonds, Brooks Robinson. These checklists must have been a thrill. Makes me want to see six-series sets again.

You see this checklist is a bad mother: It leads off with Joe Morgan and doesn't care what you think.

Shut your mouth: Card number #317 is "Athlet." Rookies. I guess "ics" was just too much to write.

No one understands him but his woman: This checklist is diamond-cut, which was commonplace with '70s cards, but I don't know if some collectors of modern-day cards even know what it means now.


(A word about the back): The card number for each of the series checklists has bounced around. The number for the first series was in the top right corner and the number for the second series was in the bottom right. Now we have top center.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what "diamond-cut" means as it relates to cards - and I am not a modern collector.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the Seaver record-breaker card with the airbrushed batter today for the first time. I spent some time puzzling over what they were trying to cover up with the airbrushing. There appears to be no reason for it.

    ReplyDelete