Monday, June 6, 2016

no. 539 - larry brown


Who is the man: Larry Brown's starting days were coming to an end when this card was issued. The Indians went with a younger Jack Heidemann over the veteran Brown at shortstop in 1970, and after appearing in more than 100 games six straight years, he appeared in just 72 in 1970.

Can ya dig it: He looks like Bobby Valentine to me.

Right on: You can't beat the classic posed shot in Yankee Stadium.

You see that cat Brown is a bad mother: Although Brown didn't hit a lot, he was one of the steadiest shortstops in Indians history. He fielded his position well and at the plate didn't strike out much and finished in the top 10 in intentional walks in 1968.

Shut your mouth: When I was coming back to the hobby in 2004, I would frequent an antique/jewelry shop where a dealer displayed a bunch of vintage cards. I was there primarily to complete my 1975 Topps set, but there were other random vintage cards around, too. In a box of cheapies, I discovered a bunch of different cards of Larry Brown. I had never heard of the guy before that moment. Larry Brown to me was a basketball coach. And I wondered what kind of fixation this dealer had with this new Larry Brown.

No one understands him but his woman: Brown's older brother, Dick, played for the Indians from 1957-59. I guess that made it  convenient for mom. From 57-59 and from 63-70, Cleveland was always a destination to watch the kids play.


(A word about the back): Going all the way back to 1959 to find some complimentary stats.

1 comment:

  1. Brown batted 8th more than half the 1968 season so the high IBB total was probably the opponent wanting to get to the pitcher's spot in the pre-DH AL.

    He suffered a fractured skull from a horrific collision with LF Leon Wagner, 5/4/66 at Yankee Stadium. Amazingly, he was back in the lineup 1 1/2 months later.

    ReplyDelete