Tuesday, January 9, 2018

no. 741 - skip guinn


Who is the man: Skip Guinn spent the whole 1970 season with Triple A Oklahoma City. He returned to the Astros in 1971 but for only four games, which would be his last games in the majors.

Can ya dig it: This and another card I'll show later were the two earliest super high numbers that I obtained for this set. I was a teenager when I got it. When I decided to put my '71 set in a binder, this card was lonely by itself in a page for a long time.

Right on: Final card of Guinn's career.

You see that cat Guinn is a bad mother: Guinn could strike people out. His career strikeout rate per nine innings is 9.8.

Shut your mouth: Guinn's given first name is Drannon.

No one understands him but his woman: Guinn was part of a trade between the Astros and Expos that was a "make-up" trade. Donn Clendenon declined to go from Montreal to Houston in a deal that brought Rusty Staub to Montreal. With the Astros threatening to scrap the deal, Montreal added Guinn and pitcher Jack Billingham plus the already-agreed-upon Jesus Alou and $100,000 to complete the trade.

 
(A word about the back): Guinn was part of the Astros in 1969 so the date of the acquisition in the last sentence is wrong.

1 comment:

  1. I liked when cards had the full proper name on the back- first middle and last. I think(?) the 74 set was one that did.

    ReplyDelete