Wednesday, February 7, 2018

no. 751 - al weis


Who is the man: Al Weis appeared in 75 games for the Mets in 1970. It was enough to earn him a roster spot in 1971, but by the time this card was issued, he had been released by the Mets and his career was over.

Can ya dig it: Weis was chiefly a second baseman and shortstop. I'm not sure the "infield" listing is necessary.

Right on: This is the highest-numbered card I received in a trade for my first group of 1971s when I was a teenager. I recall sorting the cards on the floor -- as I often did -- and noting the Weis card was numbered so much higher than all the other cards I had (I had no clue how many cards were in the set at the time). This card became a point of pride for me for several years.

You see that cat Weis is a bad mother: One of the heroes of the Miracle Mets, the lifetime .219 hitter walloped the Orioles for five hits in 11 at-bats (.455) in the 1969 World Series.

Shut your mouth: When the Mets released Weis on July 1, 1971, manager Gil Hodges told him it was one of the toughest decisions he ever had to make.

No one understands him but his woman: Weis hit eight home runs in his career. Two of them came off of Orioles ace Dave McNally.


(A word about the back): After Weis hit the first of his two surprising home runs against the Cubs, he said: "I'm no home run hitter. I'm not even a hitter."

1 comment:

  1. He is also one of the great Sign Guy subjects: "We are Weis guys" - I love a good pun.

    ReplyDelete