Tuesday, September 10, 2013

no. 211 - phil hennigan


Who is the man: Phil Hennigan was entering his second full season in the major leagues with the release of this card. He pitched in 42 games in 1970 after a nine-game showing with the Indians in 1969.

Can ya dig it: This is another card I obtained in a trade as a teenager. I didn't know anything about Hennigan then, and I'm ashamed to say I didn't increase my knowledge about him any before I started this post. So let's learn together.

Right on: Hennigan is looking very stately there in Yankee Stadium. It's as if Bob Sheppard is announcing his name.

You see this cat Hennigan is a bad mother: The first major league batter Hennigan faced was the player on the card in the previous post, Rod Carew. Hennigan retired Carew on a fly ball.

Shut your mouth: Hennigan is quoted in the "Gigantic Book Of Baseball Quotations" thusly: "When I was in the majors, I worked on a nudist ball. It had nothing on it."

No one understands him but his woman: Hennigan's final card features a photo in which he is airbrushed into a Mets cap and is more of an advertisement for Pepsi.


Not the greatest way to go out.



(A word about the back): Hennigan pitched all but one of his 42 games in relief in 1970. In 1971, he was the Indians' top "fireman," to use the parlance of the time. He saved 14 games.

No comments:

Post a Comment